QuickTimeVR

Object movie

2.0M

24.0M

QuickTimeVR

Panorama movie

500K

QuickTimeVR

Panorama movie

500K

QuickTimeVR

Panorama movie

500K

QuickTimeVR

Panorama movie

500K

Still image

Reconstruction view

320 x 240

640 x 480

1250 x 900

Still image

Reconstruction view

320 x 240

640 x 480

1250 x 900

Still image

Reconstruction view

320 x 240

640 x 480

1250 x 900

Still image

Reconstruction view

320 x 240

640 x 480

1250 x 900

Still image

Reconstruction view

320 x 240

640 x 480

1250 x 900

Still image

Reconstruction view

320 x 240

640 x 480

1250 x 900

Concordia, Aedes
Temple on west side of Forum; housing cult honoring civic harmony
Reconstructed state: Building as first dedicated on site

Known historical events

367 BC Vowed by Camillus, but perhaps never built. Sources: Ovid, Fasti 1.637-650, Plutarch, Camillus 42.4-6.
304 BC Cn. Flavius built a small bronze shrine in the area Vulcani (Livy) or in the Graecostasis (Pliny). It is unclear whether the shrine has any relationship to the temple built nearby by Opimius in 121 BC. Sources: Livy 9.46.1, Pliny, NH 33.19.
121 BC L. Opimius built (or rebuilt) the temple. It was dedicated on July 22. Sources: Appian, Bell. Civ. 1.3.26, Plutarch, Life of C. Gracchus 17.6, Inscr. It. 13.2, 15; NSc 1921, 23.
63 BC to 43 BC Numerous meetings of the Senate recorded here in the late Republic. Sources: Cicero, Catil. 3.21; Sest. 26; Phil. 2.19, 112; 3.30; 5.18, 20; 7.21, Plutarch, Life of Cicero 19.1, Sallust, Catil. 46.5; 49.4.
36 BC Statues of M. Antonius set up in the temple by Octavian. Sources: Dio Cass. 49.18.6.
9 BC Temple destroyed by fire or lightning. Sources: Cass. Dio 55.1.1.
7 BC Rebuilding begun by Tiberius. Sources: Cassius Dio 55.8.1-2.
10 AD to 300 AD Building repeatedly used in imperial period for meetings of the Senate and of the Arval Brethren. Sources: A.M.Ferroni, "Concordia, Aedes," LTUR 1 (Rome 1993) 319.
10 AD Dedicated on January 16 as Temple of Concordia Augusta by Tiberius in his name and in name of his brother, Drusus. Sources: Suet., Tib. 20, Cass. Dio 56.25.1, CIL 1.1, p. 231; Inscr. It. 13.2, 115; NSc 1923, 196; Inscr. It. 13.2, 161.
772 AD to 795 AD Facade of temple collapsed in the time of Pope Hadrian I. Sources: Liber Pontif. 1.512, 522.
1447 AD to 1455 AD Further damage was caused by construction of the Tower of Nicholas V, which abuts the rear facade of the Palazzo Senatorio and cuts through the northwest corner of the temple's foundations. Sources: A.M. Ferroni, "Concordia, Aedes," LTUR 1 (Rome 1993) 319.
1700 AD to 1721 AD The staircase built by Pope Clement XI from the Capitoline to the Forum destroyed the remains of the north side of the temple. Sources: A.M. Ferroni, "Concordia, Aedes," LTUR 1 (Rome 1993) 319.
1882 AD to 1940 AD Remains of the pronaos were damaged by construction of a road through the Forum at this point in 1882; the road was lowered and enlarged in 1940, further damaging the ruins. Sources: A.M. Ferroni, "Concordia, Aedes," LTUR 1 (Rome 1993) 319.
1983 AD Remains systematically excavated by G. Maetzke when the modern road was removed. Three building phases prior to the temple of Opimius were identified. Sources: A.M. Ferroni, "Concordia, Aedes," LTUR 1 (Rome 1993) 319.