Alternate names: Temple of Saturn, Aedes Saturni
Temple to cult of Saturn, it also housed the public treasury and the headquarters of the quaestors. The Temple of Saturn was dedicated in the early Republic and was the oldest temple on record. It was rebuilt in 42 BC by L. Munatius Plancus and was damaged by fire and restored (as the inscription on the entablature records) at an indeterminate time in the fourth century AD. The gable supported acroterial statues of Tritons blowing trumpets; the cella had a statue of the god whose feet were confined with wool bindings, except on his festival (the Saturnalia). The fabric of the building was made of pepperino tufa and travertine, which was revetted with marble. It was 22.5 meters wide and 40 meters long and stood on a high podium. The order is Ionic; the pronaos was hexastyle with columns of gray granite. The front staircase has disappeared. Under it was the aerarium, or state treasury. The temple seems to have survived fairly intact until the early fifteenth century; by 1447 it had been largely destroyed.