Richardson, L. jr
Statua Sullae: an equestrian statue of Sulla shown on coins of ca. 80 B.C. (B. M. Coins, Rom. Rep. 2.463 no. 16 = Crawford 381). It was gilded (Cicero Phil. 9.13; Appian BellCiv 1.97) and stood in rostris (Suetonius Iul. 75.4; Cass. Dio 42.18.2, Cass. Dio 43.49.1), although Appian puts it in front of the rostra. The plebs smashed the statue following the downfall of Pompey, of whom there was a counterpart statue, but Caesar later restored it when he moved the rostra to the northwest end of the forum (Suetonius Iul. 75.4; Cass. Dio 42.18.2, Cass. Dio 43.49.1). As shown on coins, the statue wore a laurel crown and sagum and lifted its right hand in a gesture of salutation. Another statue of Sulla with an inscription like the legend of the coins was erected in the Vicus Laci Fundani (CIL 12.721 = 6.1297 = ILS 872 = ILLRP 352).
© The Johns Hopkins University Press