The Basilica Porcia, as it was called, had been dedicated by the elder Cato while he was censor. Here, then, the tribunes of the people were accustomed to transact their business; and as one of the pillars was thought to be in the way of their seats, they determined to take it down or move it to another place.
Reprinted by permission of the publishers and the Trustees of the Loeb Classical Library from Plutarchus: Parallel Lives (Volume VIII. Sertorius and Eumenes. Phocion and Cato the Younger), Loeb Classical Library Vol. 100, translated by Bernadotte Perrin, Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, © 1919, by the President and Fellows of Harvard College. The Loeb Classical Library ® is a registered trademark of the President and Fellows of Harvard College.